Monday, September 28, 2009

What does LaHood know that LoBiondo doesn't?

I haven't time to do justice to Frank Lobiondo's stand on health care, but needless to say, he's been very skeptical of the plans being put forth by Barack Obama and the Democrats. So, I was a little surprised to see this post by Matt Cooper of The Atlantic after he talked to Ray LaHood:

I asked LaHood about health care and he told me that every Cabinet member has been enlisted in selling the package and that he thinks that in the end as many as 10 House Republicans might support the final passage of a bill...Any Republican support would be a blessing, and as a former House Republican LaHood is in a position to help get it. He helped pull in eight crucial GOP l votes for the president's energy bill earlier this year, something that Obama called and thanked him for the next day. "Part of the reason I have this job is because I can help bring in Republican votes," LaHood says. He helped recruit former GOP congressman John McHugh to be Army Secretary. "When people call me on their road projects, I take their temperature on health care."


I don't see how you get 10 Republican House votes without Frank LoBiondo. I'd be quite happy if he somehow trades a vote for health care reform (which I support) for a Route 55 extension (which I also support.)

Still, I'll believe it when I see it, because LoBiondo has been quite clear in his opposition.